A History of Kigezi (1972) editor: Donald Denoon.
The classic local history book with essays by prominent post-independence Ugandan and Missionary historians. Long out-of-print, this free scan download will be a boon to students, local and family historians, and university academics interested in Kigezi’s past.
Kigezi History Conference at Kabale, 1970 The conference that led to the publication of the above book with list of attendees and minutes of the conference discussions
Scans in French from the White Father’s archives, Rome
- Kigezi Description, Père Henri Le Veux c.1910
- Les Abasambo, Père Joseph Nicolet n.d.
- Resume de l’histoire-legende de Kitami, Père Joseph Nicolet n.d.
- Le Mariage au Bufumbira, Père Joseph Nicolet 1910
- Tradition Religieux et Nyabingi, Rukiga & Mpororo, Père Joseph Nicolet 1928
- Père Blanc Nécrologies : Joseph Laane (1869-1941), Pierre Schumacher (1878-1950), Joseph Nicolet (1884-1954) et Félix Géraud, (1927-2010) (with English translations of obituaries)
Archival Extracts and Article Scans
- C.M.S. Ruanda Mission Notes
- Kigezi Descriptions, 1920 & 1960
- Mufumbiro: The Birunga Volcanoes of Kigezi, 1923
- Precolonial Taboos and Punishments, Rubanda
- Meaning of Gombolola Names, Rukiga Cpunty, Kigezi
- Uganda Herald & other London Archives
- Agriculture in Uganda, 1940, Kigezi extracts
- Elspeth Huxley in Kigezi, 1947
- Kigezi Resettlement Scheme Annual Reports, 1946-7 & 1949-50
- Travellers’ Rest Safari Camp brochure, (Kisoro), 1950s
Scans in English from the White Father’s archives, Rome
Wildlife and Conservation
See Central African Miscellany page (https://iancantwell.com/central-african-miscellany/) for documents on the Uganda Protectorate Game and Fisheries Department; Mountain Gorillas on Virunga Volcanoes (Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo NPs) and Kayonza Forest (aka Bwindi Impenetrable NP); and Elephant (Murchison’s NP)